Thursday 27 October 2011

Big Shoes to Fill

I had a terrifying thought recently. It is my job to teach Finnegan everything. This seems like an impossible feat. How can I possibly teach him everything? There is so much to know. This thought struck me the other day during a new game we play with Finn, ''show me your belly button'' where, as the name suggests, Finnegan shows us his belly button. This took weeks to learn. We have started ''show me your nose'' to which Finn shows us his belly button. There are a lot of body parts. Times 2-3 weeks to learn each one and well you do the math. Now imagine all the things that he needs to learn, numbers, letters, animals (all in 2 languages may I add), how to react in any given situation, the list seems endless. I know that others will pitch in, friends, family, teachers, but ultimately the responsibility is mine. Sit back for a minute and think about everything you know. Everything you have ever heard, the thousands (well maybe hundreds) of words you know, all the people you know, all the feelings you have. All of this knowledge needs to be passed on to my son in what seems like an impossibly short period of time. On a shorter scale I need only to look at my nephew who is not quite three. He speaks quite eloquently, knows how to conduct himself, how to use a spoon, how to use the potty. Finnegan will be in his spot in about 18 months and even this seems like an incredibly daunting task. How can such a little boy, one who now opens his mouth to let the dog eat out of it (I know ew, don't get me started), learn so much in such a short time? I just wish I had the capabilities to learn that quickly, would make getting this pesky bachelors degree a lot easier...

No comments:

Post a Comment