Monday 3 October 2011

Weaning Woes: warning contains graphic content

I am a die hard advocate for breast feeding. In this house formula was a bad word. Except in a few rare circumstances I don't believe that formula should ever be used. This may be unpopular, but I find it downright selfish to not breastfeed, at least until 6 months, unless there are medical reasons why you cannot. I know that it is hard, I suffered through my share of bloody nipples and mastitis but it is part of being a mom. Anyway, I digress. When I had Finn I intended to breastfeed to about 18 months, supplementing with whole milk at 11 months. Little did I know I would end up with a son completely uninterested in breast feeding. I have read stories about children screaming and crying as there moms tried to wean them. Finn on the other hand could take it or leave it. At around 12 months I diminished his feedings to twice daily, he didn't seem to notice or care. This is the schedule I intended to keep till I was ready to wean (note the ''I''). However in recent weeks something has changed. I don't know what Finn is doing differently but his breastfeeding sessions have left my poor nipples bloody and pusy (I did warn that there would be graphic content). It is almost worse than the first few weeks. Every session leaves me wincing in pain. Now it is one thing to tough through this for a newborn but seems kind of ridiculous to submit myself to this for a 14month old. So I have eliminated the morning feeding, again Finn neither noticed nor cared. I, however, cannot seem to let go of our bedtime feeding session. I know Finn probably won't miss it. I am left in pain each time he feeds yet I don't feel that I am ready to say goodbye to this aspect of parenting yet. It really feels like the difference between baby and toddler to me and I can't picture my son as a toddler, even though he is now walking and talking, it seems like yesterday that we brought him home from the hospital. I know it has to come to an end, soon, but a few more weeks can't hurt, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment