Saturday 10 September 2011

Daycare Drama

If I had the choice between being a stay at home mom or a working mom I would stay home with my little boy hands down. Unfortunately, if we hope to live in the comfortable manor in which we have become accustomed that isn't really an option. So, with this decision, I began my hunt for someone to watch Finn. If only I knew what I was in for. A public daycare was out of the question, since you have to put your name on a waiting list in junior high to have a hope of getting in. So armed with a list of in home daycares I started my calls.

The first lady I spoke with told me all about her beautiful house, large backyard... on a lake. All I pictured then was my son drowning while she was preoccupied with someone else's toddler. Her name was crossed of the list.

Next call was another woman. She told me all about her daycare. Proudly claimed that she had been doing this for over 30 (!!) years. Now quickly doing the math in my head, that would make her about 55 years old. Now I am 24 and have trouble keeping up with one toddler, how in the world is she suppose to take care of six? Another name off the list.

Next daycare I called was a husband wife duo. This may be sexist, but no man is looking after my kid. Now, in a large public daycare facility I would have no problem with a male educator but nowadays there are to many horror stories on the news and a wife would have no problem covering something up. So yet another name crossed of the list.

The final blow came when I found out a girl I went to high school with, whom I wouldn't trust to watch my goldfish, had opened her own in home daycare. If she was allowed to watch other peoples kids I could end up with ANYONE watching mine.

Things were looking pretty glum. Finally, I was so lucky to convince my sister-in-law to watch Finn. She is a stay at home mom with two small children of her own, and it has proved to be the perfect scenario for us. Flexible hours, which is nice because both my husband and I work crazy shifts. People I know I can trust. Other kids for Finn to play with and best of all a private babysitter for the price of daycare, what more can you ask for! I just hope she doesn't decided to go out and get a better paying job!!

No comments:

Post a Comment