Friday 2 September 2011

MISSING: friends, reward for their safe return

I recently got a new cell phone plan. Unlimited calling to ten ''friends.'' I thought this was a great deal, until I sat down to write out my list and realized I could not come up with ten people that I would call. I must say that this made me feel rather pathetic. Now I was never miss popular in high school, but I did have lots of friends... I swear I did. If you look through my old albums and year books you can see me there pictured  with them. I have fond memories of these illusive friends. The question is where did they all go? Sure I have a die hard friend or two that managed to stick it out, but the others seem to have disappeared into thin air. Scattered from northern Alberta, to Winnipeg to Moncton. Employed in a number of things far to glamorous for this simple mom, and I must say I miss them. I miss the girl I have been friends with since kindergarten who has faded into a life I can't begin to understand. I miss one of my best friends who I lost touch with in college after a nasty roommate experience (I believe that lacrosse equipment may have been involved) and I even miss the ex-boyfriend who abandoned me shortly before prom. To most people high-school was the worst time of their lives, full of bullies and finals. I, however, loved it. I would give anything  to go back to those carefree days. I find myself now unable to connect with others my own age, since we are in such a vastly different places in our lives since I had the baby, yet unable to identify with other moms of young children who tend to be five or ten years my senior. True I did choose to become a mom at a young age and my dear son is definitely worth sacrificing these friends over I just think it would be nice to have a few extra numbers on my ten favourite numbers list.

1 comment:

  1. I miss you and although our worlds have become two very different places in the last few years, I would give anything to be back a few years, having that first cup of coffee (frozen hot chocolate in your case) in that Second Cup on Monkland with your Mom. I admire the woman you have become since those days and I can't wait to sit down for another cup of coffee some day really soon.

    ReplyDelete